Friday, September 4, 2026

Dolly Villanelle by Sher Schwartz


Dolly Villanelle     

––after Dolly Parton 1946-2026


Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world.

Your dresses, guitars, blonde wigs, and smiles–

Dolly, I bring all who thank you.


When disasters took their homes, you gave them 

back. Your country songs gave us medicine.

Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world.


Your tunnel is lit with rhinestones bright as

diamonds, and here's your unforgettable 

voice. I bring all who thank you.


Your career gave us wildfire relief, 

children's books, new hospital beds, and laughs.

Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world.


You said, Honey, you don't have to be a 

raving beauty to be special, and be 

beautiful. I bring all those who thank you.


You said, If I see someone without a smile

I give them mine. Magic is inside you.

Hello Dolly I bring your gifts to dark world.

Dolly, I bring all those who thank you.


@ Sher Schwartz


Sher Schwartz

Sher Schwartz is a published essayist, poet, musician, and retired Assistant Professor of Humanities living on a 200-acre historic farm in Eastern Oregon. Her chapbook The Beautiful One’s Ark was published in 2024. 

Feature Image Courtesy of Picryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Dolly Villanelle by Sher Schwartz

Dolly Villanelle      ––after Dolly Parton 1946-2026 Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world. Your dresses, guitars, blonde wigs, and...