Friday, September 4, 2026

Dolly Villanelle by Sher Schwartz


Dolly Villanelle     

––after Dolly Parton 1946-2026


Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world.

Your dresses, guitars, blonde wigs, and smiles–

Dolly, I bring all who thank you.


When disasters took their homes, you gave them 

back. Your country songs gave us medicine.

Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world.


Your tunnel is lit with rhinestones bright as

diamonds, and here's your unforgettable 

voice. I bring all who thank you.


Your career gave us wildfire relief, 

children's books, new hospital beds, and laughs.

Hello Dolly, I bring your gifts to dark world.


You said, Honey, you don't have to be a 

raving beauty to be special, and be 

beautiful. I bring all those who thank you.


You said, If I see someone without a smile

I give them mine. Magic is inside you.

Hello Dolly I bring your gifts to dark world.

Dolly, I bring all those who thank you.


@ Sher Schwartz


Sher Schwartz

Sher Schwartz is a published essayist, poet, musician, and retired Assistant Professor of Humanities living on a 200-acre historic farm in Eastern Oregon. Her chapbook The Beautiful One’s Ark was published in 2024. 

Feature Image Courtesy of Picryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Leaving Summer with Hope by Diane Klammer

Art by Diane Klammer Leaving Summer with Hope combined nonet fronds palmate in my hand float here and there gusts flutter in trees summer a...