Sunday, April 6, 2025

Luna, Paloma by Ann E. Michael

 

rquiros


Luna, Paloma

 

I wanted a daughter, so in the first trimester of my second pregnancy

I lay in moonlight once a month invoking Artemis and Lilith

yin strength and the round egg of my womb.

 

In dreams an angel came to me saying she will be unlike you

and I agreed. In dreams the angel told me you cannot live through her

and I acquiesced again.

 

The angel said you know that she will leave you and I asked,

“Is this a test?” For I am myself a daughter, I know I cannot hold her

longer than she will stand for it.

 

Is that why you are weeping even now? the angel asked.

“No, I’m thinking of my mother,” I said to the moonlight,

to the empty room, to my daughter

 

who was cooing like a gray dove, suspended in the nest 

I’d constructed just for her.

 

First appeared in Ann’s collection Abundance/Diminishment


© Ann E. Michael 

Enjoy more posts by Ann E. Michael HERE.


Ann E. Michael


Ann E. Michael lives in eastern Pennsylvania. Her latest poetry collection (2024) is Abundance/Diminishment. Her work has appeared in Ninth Letter, One Art, Ekphrasis Review, and many others, as well as in numerous anthologies. She chronicles her writing, reading, and garden on a long-running blog at www.annemichael.blog.

Follow Feed the Holy

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. It reminds me of all my dreams, prayers, fears, and hopes when I was pregnant with my son (26 years ago!). And the third stanza...yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a mother is tough. So is being a daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Hospital train by Mykyta Ryzhykh

Hospital (Medical) Train Doctors Without Borders Hospital train Definite article Infinitive of rain The carriage is filled with emptiness...