Sunday, August 30, 2026

Ode to Presence by Ralph Dranow

Malachi Cowie



Ode to Presence

Fear grips me in its jaws

as I’m driving.

Be careful!

You’re going to have an accident.

Then I remember.

My breath deepens,

shoulders loosen,

heartbeat slows.

The hazy picture comes into focus.

I’m going to be all right.

I give my wife a hasty kiss.

She pulls back.

Then I remember,

let my lips melt into hers,

like warm honey.

I’m doing tai chi,

Moving like a robot,

Each movement a blurry dream.

Then I remember.

My mind emerges from nowhere land,

shakes hands with my arms and legs,

takes them out for coffee.

I’m gobbling my food,

as if the Cossacks are coming,

about to launch a pogrom,

disrupt my lunch.

Then I remember

to slow down and savor,

as if each morsel is a line

from a favorite poem.

© Ralph Dranow


Enjoy more poems by Ralph Dranow HERE.



Ralph Dranow 

Ralph Dranow works as an editor, poetry teacher, and oral historian. His most recent books are At Work
on the Garments of Refuge, poems of his and poems and artwork of his late friend Daniel Marlin. And Jelalludin Rumi Comes to Oakland. Ralph's website is http://www.ralphdranow.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Ode to Presence by Ralph Dranow

Malachi Cowie Ode to Presence Fear grips me in its jaws as I’m driving. Be careful! You’re going to have an accident. Then I remember. My ...