Monday, October 5, 2026

The Treasure by Bilal Al Masri


Gizem Gökce

The Treasure 


How can I be sure 

that language is the treasure 

in the hinterland of the soul? 

I doubt that balconies – 

which dangle from buildings 

like the earrings of women – 

are the entire city! 

Rather the body is the original place 

where Time was born.

Sometimes I feel the Earth 

is a morsel in the mouth 

of the universe – 

this predatory being 

expanding endlessly, 

like paradise is

a search for pure nihilism, 

yet that discovery 

brings no new knowledge, 

.just hell growing out of questions


© Bilal Al Masri

Enjoy more posts by Bilal Al Masri HERE.


Bilal Al Masri

Bilal Al Masri is active in the Lebanese literary community and known throughout the Arab world. He has published four poetry collections. He has written three novels and two plays as well as children’s stories, which were translated into English in Canada. Selected poems have appeared in six anthologies, including English and Polish, and some of his poems have been translated into French. He has received four different awards, including the “Zheng Nian Cup” national prize in China in 2023. His most recent poetry collection is Crushing His Head with the Stone of Memory, part of Ishraqat – a series on Arab Poetic Voices curated by the iconic Syrian poet Adonis. Bilal and his wife, Sonia Essa (of Palestinian heritage), have two children.


Follow Feed the Holy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

The Treasure by Bilal Al Masri

Gizem Gökce The Treasure  How can I be sure  that language is the treasure  in the hinterland of the soul?  I doubt that balconies –  which ...