Saturday, October 3, 2026

The Great Blue Heron by Terry Allen

Chris F

The Great Blue Heron

I’m out for a walk in the backland forest on the north side of the Chippewa Flowage. It’s early morning. It’s cool. I stop to admire a great blue heron flying gracefully overhead, a magnificent bird with a six-foot wingspan. Seeing one is said to be a message to pause and reflect, to act with patience, grace, and clarity. I’m in no hurry. I stand perfectly still and watch until the heron disappears, off I suppose, to the shoreline of one of the two hundred undeveloped islands nearby. Perhaps, it’s moments real or imagined, like this one that we collect when our lives slow down, and we’re no longer in a hurry to get anywhere. It’s at this time that we come to see that we’re simply a small part of a great story that sometimes moves straight ahead and other times curves back on itself, where present, past, and future become the same thing, like when my father came to visit me yesterday. I saw him out here in the forest. Clearly. Standing up ahead, across a footpath bridge, looking back at me. And I heard him say, Come on, boy. Get a move on. Follow me. And I did.

© Terry Allen

Enjoy more posts by Terry Allen HERE.

Terry Allen

Terry Allen is an Emeritus Professor of Theatre Arts at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, where he taught acting, directing, and playwriting. He directed well over a hundred plays during his thirty-eight years of teaching. A few favorites include: Candide, Macbeth, Death of a Salesman, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and The Threepenny Opera. He is the author of five poetry collections: Monsters in the Rain, Art Work, Waiting on the Last Train, Rubber Time, and Preserving the Past for the Present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

The Great Blue Heron by Terry Allen

Chris F The Great Blue Heron I’m out for a walk in the backland forest on the north side of the Chippewa Flowage. It’s early morning. It’s c...