Monday, September 21, 2026

Poetry by Ed Ahern

WIERZBA PH

Quiet Time

When I was younger and trying to be chicly spiritual

I sought the smug placidity of a windless pond

that would let me achieve the thought silence

that would let me become a boundless whole.

But the clangor of vagrant ideas always intruded

and I’m really only ever calm and mute and still

fleetingly between my squirrel chatterings.

After Midnight

 

We give back our world after midnight.

empty socket windows plucked of light,

houses tiered as umbrous cemetery markers,

roads almost rid of exhausting pests,

streetlight islands sinking into darkness,

and wind sound and chittering now audible.

To walk alone into this is to recognize

how fragile our dominance might be

But, of course, almost no one does.

© Ed Ahern

Ed Ahern

Ed Ahern resumed writing after forty-odd years in foreign intelligence and international sales. He’s had about 650 stories and poems published so far, and thirteen books. He works the other side of writing at Bewildering Stories, where he squats on the review board, and at Scribes Micro.

Follow Feed the Holy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Poetry by Ed Ahern

WIERZBA PH Quiet Time When I was younger and trying to be chicly spiritual I sought the smug placidity of a windless pond that would let me...