Thursday, September 10, 2026

Mask of Calm by Kristi Jones

Quionie Gaban

Mask of Calm 

Walking from the gate to the jetway
to the airplane

I put on a mask of calm

Arranging my face to look normal

Trying to look serene

Aiming to fit in with others

Hiding my fear of flying

Behind my mask of calm

I am anything but calm, cool, collected

Adrenaline spikes and fears surface

Fear that the pilot might make a mistake

Fear that the plane might malfunction

Fear that the plane might crash

Calming medication and deep breathing

Soothing mantras and distraction items

Fears still surface

I wonder about other passengers

If any of them wear masks of calm Hiding their fear of flying

© Kristi Jones

Enjoy more posts by Kristi Jones HERE.


Kristi Jones is a poet from Madison, Wisconsin. She loves spending time outdoors, whether tending her community garden plot or hiking local trails.
  Kristi’s poetry has been published in The Tiny Seed and UAMS Medicine and Meaning.  She holds a BA from St Olaf College.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Mask of Calm by Kristi Jones

Quionie Gaban Mask of Calm  Walking from the gate to the jetway to the airplane I put on a mask of calm Arranging my face to look normal Try...