Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Blue-Collar Man by Arvilla Fee

cottonbro studio

Blue-Collar Man

My daddy was a blue-collar man

in a blue-collar town

back when prices were up

and wages were down

they called it a recession

and I guess we were poor

but I had bologna and bread,

couldn’t ask for much more

just a kid climbing trees

while my daddy worked hard

I read books on the branches

licked jam from a jar

he’d come home at midnight

after a long second shift

I’d be asleep in my bed

my dreams set adrift

I had skates and a bike

never minded my clothes

skinned up my knees

drank from a hose 

grew up in a house

where we followed the rules

respected our elders

didn’t backtalk in school

he taught me to work hard

to get up when kicked down

My blue-collar daddy

in our blue-collar town

© Arvilla Fee


Enjoy more posts by Arvilla Fee HERE.


Arvilla Fee

Arvilla Fee, from Dayton, Ohio, has been published in numerous presses, and her poetry books, The Human Side This is Life, and Mosaic: A Million Little Pieces are available on Amazon. Arvilla’s life advice: Never travel without snacks. To learn more, visit her website and her new magazine:
https://soulpoetry7.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

The Gift of Spring by Bob McAfee

Emre Ayata The Gift of Spring Promise me a warm embrace, a color bright, a day that glows, a moon at night that scuds and flows, a rising su...