Monday, August 10, 2026

Poetry by Steven Bruce

Auguries of Despair
(Casper David Friedrich - Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog)


On the Edge of Nothing

AFTER JOHN KEATS

I fear I’ll drop dead

before the pen dries to wheat,

before the books stack high

enough to leave a mark,

before the night spits out

its secrets in phlegmy stars,

before I have the strength

to face more dumb, dangerous love,

before I can stand where I am,

hands empty, with a smile carved

into my face.



Auguries of Despair

AFTER WILLIAM BLAKE

To see a life in a glint of grit,

and beauty in a trampled flower.

To crush despair in your tired fist, and snatch joy from a rotten hour.


© Steven Bruce Enjoy more posts by Steven Bruce HERE.


Steven Bruce


Steven Bruce is a writer and a multiple-award-winning author. His poems and short stories have appeared in numerous international anthologies and magazines. In 2018, he graduated from Teesside University with a Master’s Degree in Creative Writing. You can follow Steven on his website: www.stevenbrucewriter.co.uk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Poetry by Steven Bruce

Auguries of Despair (Casper David Friedrich - Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog) On the Edge of Nothing AFTER JOHN KEATS I fear I’ll drop dead...