Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Act of Contrition by Pamela Gemme

Breno Cardoso


Act of Contrition 

 

I pray under my breath 

Dear Holy Father, I think this is your way of ribbing me 

into understanding our commonality. 

 

Lord, my community is solitary, 

my friends don’t know I am in a family way.

I loiter before school among the alms of elms, 

 

lean on the stone wall in that baby doll top that hides the ball 

of my popped-out middle, my shirt more see-through 

than I realize, my belly is judicious, I can’t stand 


school, I’ve failed my pledge of allegiance. 

Lord, I haven’t learned and it’s hotter than ten hells

In June heat, my breasts feel like banging gavels. 


Dear God, at this point, I court my roundness

I feel a little fist and foot that hits and kicks me, 

God, not to belabor the point, I digress, 


I confess. Bless and defend me, please 

I’ll stay in check, just keep my secret.

© Pamela Gemme

Enjoy more posts by Pamela Gemme HERE.

Pamela Gemme


Pamela Gemme is a poet and artist. Recent or forthcoming publications:
The American Journal of Poetry, Haiku Journal, The Chicago Quarterly Review, Naugatuck River Review, J Journal, SoFloPoJo, and others. Pamela works privately with poets to write about their trauma, and she runs local workshops. Pamela co-leads a reading series in Needham, Massachusetts, with the poet Mani Iyer. Most recently, her manuscript Making My Madonna received Honorable Mention in the 2025 Slate Roof Press Contest. Pamela co-edited Essential Voices: A Covid-19 Anthology from WVU Press, released May 22, 2023. Pamela is on the editorial board at the Worcester Review. Pamela is an Ambassador at the National Baseball Poetry Festival. Pamela’s chapbook, Making My Madonna, is forthcoming from Finishing Line Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

Act of Contrition by Pamela Gemme

Breno Cardoso Act of Contrition    I pray under my breath  Dear Holy Father, I think this is your way of ribbing me  into understanding our ...