Sunday, May 25, 2025

Verge & Exodus by Ann E. Michael

 

Image | Tetyana Kovyrina

Verge & Exodus

 

On the road’s verge, five geese looking unctuous,

​vaguely irritable as I pass them

going 50 on the route I’ve taken for decades

 

and this time I recall two years back, when my dad

​was failing, how eagerly I sought any sign

of seasonal change—

 

early-flowering witch hazel or crocuses, quince,

​swells in daffodils’ green emergence 

while inside myself the slow emergency of his dying

 

began to open from probable to imminent. Back then

​I drove south idly; through the windshield 

I looked forward to nothing, 

 

as my mother talked of nothing when he floated 

​in his haze of pain and Dilaudid, holding one hand 

over his head as though he could, 

 

with his fingertips, pull the ache from his left ear 

​over his head and into the room 

where it might exit.

 

Now, the exodus occurs elsewhere, in refugee waves,

​people whose minds and bodies lug their different pains

across other kinds of borders.

 

My father’s experience of earth has ended,

​his baptism complete. His birthday was in April.

See there, along the roadside? Daffodils.


© Ann E. Michael 

Enjoy more posts by Ann E. Michael HERE.



Ann E. Michael


Ann E. Michael lives in eastern Pennsylvania. Her latest poetry collection (2024) is Abundance/Diminishment. Her work has appeared in Ninth Letter, One Art, Ekphrasis Review, and many others, as well as in numerous anthologies. She chronicles her writing, reading, and garden on a long-running blog at www.annemichael.blog.

Follow Feed the Holy

1 comment:

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

One Day in 3020 by Soodabeh Saeidnia

akın akdağ One Day in 3020 children will be riding viruses, galloping them off to playgrounds, and dashing the most stubborn ones over the ...