Friday, February 14, 2025

Flower Haiku by Joshua St. Claire

Flower Haiku 

saffron robes

the daylily’s shadow

shifts to the infinite

 

thistleseed shadow

at the pace of vulture shadow

high noon

 

cat’s ears and chicory

the evening star appears

in the indigo sky

 

last light

an evening primrose becomes

the center of the universe

 

mother reminds me

to keep watching the deep sky

artichoke blossoms

 

dandelions

just because

he can’t control them 

 

the flower whose name I do not know yellow leaves

 

not really

from around here either

cherry blossoms

 

not what you think I am wild clematis 

 

jolted

awake

spatterdock


© Joshua St. Claire


Enjoy more of Joshua St. Claire's posts HERE.


Joshua St. Claire


Joshua St. Claire is an accountant from a small town in Pennsylvania, working as a financial director for a nonprofit. His haiku and related poetry have been published broadly, including in Frogpond, Modern Haiku, The Heron’s Nest, and Mayfly.


1 comment:

  1. I love this! The images and language took me by surprise at every line, making what could have been a bland poetic description of flowers into something much more complex and beautiful, with that slight undertone of darkness.

    ReplyDelete

Please be supportive and kind in your comments.

Featured Post

A SECOND CHANCE FOR BIMAL by Snigdha Agrawal

Muhammad Atik A SECOND CHANCE FOR BIMAL "Why are you late for work?" Madam asked Bimal in an irritable voice. "I was knocke...